Thursday, January 7, 2010

Oh The Horror!




I was thinking the other day about the huge popularity of anything dead, or more specifically anything undead. Zombies and vampires are all of the rage, from the mega hit Twilight to the cutting edge True Blood (at least for TV) to countless video games (Fatal Frame, Silent Hill …) and comics (Walking Dead, 30 Days of Night, North 40 …). I could not help but wonder what started this modern day revival of classic horror franchises, and my mind kept racing back to the early days of the Playstation 1 and my first encounter with Resident Evil. It was 1996 and I was truly blown away by the combination of game play and atmosphere that RE was able to bring to the screen; I still remember jumping back when the giant spider fell from the ceiling, the terror that the game invoked was amazing. Unfortunately (like many PS1 games), the original RE has not aged well (the graphics and control are not on par with modern standards) and I think this clouds people’s view of this truly revolutionary game. To start the New Year, lets take our collective caps off to Capcom and Shinji Makami for ushering in the new age of horror and giving us so many sleepless nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment